This Privacy Notice sets out how Starehe UK uses and protects any personal information that you give us. We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected.
What we collect
If you give us a donation we may collect your contact details including your name, email address, telephone number and postal address.
If you consent to receive mailings from us we will collect the email or postal address that you wish our mailings to be sent to.
We may also collect information about you that you have made public.
What we do with the information we gather
When we collect and use your personal information we will make sure this is only done in accordance with at least one of the legal grounds available to us under Data Protection law as follows.
- If you have given consent to receive mailings we will send you notifications of news about the Starehe schools, donation opportunities and other updates relevant to those interested in Starehe UK and its work.
- If you have given a donation we are legally required to hold your data for Gift Aid or accounting purposes and we may also liaise with you regarding your donation. We also have a legal obligation to disclose information about you if we are ordered by a court or regulatory authority to do so.
- In certain instances, we use personal information as necessary in our legitimate interest as a charity, this includes being able to conduct research to better understand who our supporters are and better target our fundraising activity, or to maintain and administer our donor database and systems.
Starehe UK will not share your personal information with any third parties unless we are required by law to do so or a third party has been contracted by Starehe UK to perform the activities referred to above on our behalf.
In all cases, we balance our legitimate interests against your rights as an individual and make sure we only use personal information in a way or for a purpose that you would reasonably expect in accordance with this Policy Notice and that does not intrude on your privacy or mailing preferences.
Where we store your personal data
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). Where this is the case we will ensure that data is transferred securely in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
How we use website cookies
A cookie is a small file sent by web servers which is placed on your computer or device. This enables the web server to identify and track individual web browsers. This includes general information about your computer’s operating system, browser and version, your IP address and/or domain name, your search engine (if you came to our site via a search), and the pages of our website which you visit.
Starehe UK uses Google Analytics cookies to monitor our website performance and how visitors may be using our site. Google Analytics provides us with statistics and other information to identify areas that may need maintenance on our website and to discover where visitors to our website may have come from. Cookies do not collect any personal information - all the information collected is anonymous. You can choose to accept or decline cookies.
Links to other websites
Controlling your personal information
You may wish to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information to send you news about the Starehe schools, donation opportunities and other updates relevant to those interested in Starehe UK, you may change your mind at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe button at the bottom of all mailings or by emailing us.
- You may request that any personal information we hold about you is removed from our records.
Access to your personal information
You may request details of the personal information which we hold about you. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please email or write to us. If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, email us as soon as possible so that we can correct it.
Questions, comments and requests regarding this Privacy Notice are welcomed and should be addressed to us by email.